Richard Rumelt is widely known for his unique and penetrating perspectives. The McKinsey Quarterly has dubbed Rumelt as a “Strategy’s Strategist,” and the Wall Street Journal has labeled him a “Guru”. In addition to Richard Rumelt, you will meet an impressive line-up of speakers and attendees. Stay tuned for additional details to be released over the next few weeks.
– This will be a long sought-after and important conference for both the city of Bergen and the Norwegian Media Cluster. It will be a significant step in the pursuit of understanding the complex, technology-driven reality which we all must relate to, says Håvard Myklebust, conference initiator and chairman of NCE Media.
A Window into the Future
The timing is right – the media cluster now wishes to take another, important step in its development.
– The media cluster has grown tremendously, and Media City Bergen is now established as our new headquarters with the Media Lab as its focal point. The core expertise of our industry-leading member companies is spreading across the globe, as well as important and game changing innovations coming out of Bergen. Now, it’s time to bring the world to Bergen, Myklebust continues.
The ambition is to establish a future-focused conference which will look into the crystal ball to seek to understand how different technologies will shape our future and the society of tomorrow. The conference is a joint initiative between NCE Media and the newly established FinTech cluster in Bergen. Myklebust emphasizes this excellent collaboration and is especially pleased that the new conference is built on a common platform.
– We’re dealing with a wide spectrum of intersecting interests and common challenges for both clusters. This conference will have sessions on Blockchain, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, User Experiences and Perspectives, and understanding audiences. Being able to secure an international capacity like Rumelt to join us in Bergen is a major scoop, so pay close attention as we announce additional names and speakers over the next several weeks, concludes Myklebust.
An Important Collaboration
Sparebanken Vest CEO, Jan Erik Kjerpeseth shares Myklebust’s excitement, for both the conference and the collaboration between the clusters.
– We are entering a future where most things will be open, anything can happen, and we must think bigger and broader - together. Although Norway has several times been rated one of the world’s most digitalized countries, we still don't export enough digital services out into the world. We must dare to think on a grander scale and use the advantages we have in expertise and ability to innovate.
Kjerpeseth has played a key role in the establishment of the new FinTech cluster, which in record time has positioned itself as a strong ecosystem in Western Norway. They have great ambitions.
– We have a lot of work ahead of us. New business models and structures will influence us massively in coming years, and our ability to understand technology to develop good and relevant services will be the deciding factor. I believe that we have both great opportunities and a lot of untapped potential in common.
Kjerpeseth also points to the benefits of working across different industries and leverage one another’s expertise.
– This is where the collaboration with the media cluster and NCE Media is both relevant and timely. We have seen how the media cluster has over time created a well-functioning ecosystem for innovation and product development, with an open approach and as a joint effort. With all these overlapping problems and common challenges, I believe that a joint conference where we together peer into the future, will be a very good starting point.
A "Strategy's Strategist" and "Guru"
Richard Rumelt is a sought-after speaker and consultant who works with numerous corporations and other organizations around the world. He is widely known for his unique and penetrating perspectives. The McKinsey Quarterly has dubbed Rumelt as “Strategy’s Strategist,” and the Wall Street Journal as “Guru.” Rumelt’s clients have included institutions such as AT&T, Shell, Telecom Italia, Kings College London, O-I Corp, The National Bank of Canada, Lukoil, Microsoft, HP, Apple, and the US Army Special Operations Command.
His most recent book, Good Strategy/Bad Strategy–The Difference and Why It Matters, has received many accolades and significant press attention, and was short-listed in the Financial Times Goldman Sachs 2011 Best Business Book of the Year Award.
Richard Rumelt is the Harry and Elsa Kunin Professor of Business & Society at UCLA Anderson, a graduate school of business and management. Rumelt is widely recognized as having put in place many of the key foundations of the intellectual subject of business strategy in a series of highly-cited books and scholarly articles. Among his many honors and awards, he has been elected as the 2014 Fellows of the Academy of International Business Eminent Scholar.
Rumelt studied decision sciences and corporate strategy at the Harvard Business School, receiving his doctorate in 1972, and before that earned Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Electrical Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley. His first job was at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, designing Mars Mission spacecraft.
Now, Rumelt is coming to Bergen to open the inaugural MCB Technology Conference.
Save the dates and stay tuned. More speakers and program will be released in the following weeks, as we promise an impressive lineup of speakers.