Photo: Joao Ribeiro. Copyright: UiB
– This is a fantastic opportunity to delve into academic theories of innovation and entrepreneurship, as well as gain practical experience with methods for ideas and business development. The teaching takes place in one of the country's most competitive innovation environments.
Ole J. Mjøs, professor and academic director of UiB's research and education in Media City Bergen, says.
Application deadline: 18 of August. Apply for admission here.
Research-based knowledge and academic foundation
– The course offers broad theoretical and practical insight, as well as an analytical and critical look at the innovation field. We do not cultivate a "quick fix" approach, says Mjøs.
– We can be more thorough than ever before, since this course is devoted entirely to innovation and entrepreneurship, says Professor Lars Nyre.
Nyre is a key lecture on the MCB201 course. He has taught innovation and media design for over 10 years at the Department of Information and Media Studies, now in Media City Bergen.
The course is rooted in subjects such as sociology, design, media science and communication, economics and management, strategy, rhetoric, psychology, and information science.
– I am looking forward to talking about Norway's innovation history, various strategies for mechanical and digital innovation, and useful theories such as the Lean method and Business Model Canvassing, says Nyre.
University lecture Joao Ribeiro teaches students at UiB how to collaborate with companies such as Bergens Tidende, TV2, Vimond and IBM. He teaches methods including Design Sprint in the new course.
Media City Bergen as an innovation platform
UiB already offers innovation-oriented BA and MA programmes in media technology and media production, as well as PhD scholarships in Media Technology and Innovation.
With this new course, UiB steps up the focus on education in this field.
– Such skills are crucial for succeeding in the digital shift in a fast changing world, and the students will thus be far better equipped to help solve challenges and create new solutions in the media industry.
Anne Jacobsen, CEO of NCE Media in Media City Bergen, says.
– The initiatives of UiB here in Media City Bergen are forward-looking and have a solid focus on knowledge and expertise in the media sector. This new course will be able to recruit even more talented people to a growing industry, Jacobsen concludes.
INTRODUCTION TO INNOVATION AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP IN MEDIA CITY BERGEN
New course is offered from autumn 2019 for Social Science students at UiB. The course gives an introduction to innovation and entrepreneurship theory and method, as well as in the development of new innovative concepts, and has particular focus on the media field.
The students learn both theoretical and industry-specific ways of thinking and methods for innovation and entrepreneurship, as well as gaining practical experience with concept development.
UIB IN MEDIA CITY BERGEN
Media City Bergen is an international knowledge, innovation and industry cluster centrally located in Bergen. Here, leading media and technology companies such as NRK, TV 2, Vizrt, Bergens Tidende, IBM, and BA are co-located with parts of the Department of Information and Media Studies at UiB.
The Department offers three bachelor degrees and three master's degrees in journalism, TV production and media and interaction design and runs a number of research and innovation projects with the cluster companies.